Thursday, December 29, 2011

Santa to a Senior

A couple years ago, I learned about a program called Santa to a Senior. The program gives Christmas presents to seniors who live alone and who may not have family around. It pretty much broke my heart to think about seniors sitting by themselves on Christmas Day without anything special to mark the holiday season.

The program puts the request of seniors on these little tags and then the tags decorate special Christmas trees that are set up in partnering retail shops. The tags read simple items like scarves, chocolates and ornaments. As soon as I found out Kelowna had a program, I wanted to get involved. And you know what? It was probably the most fun I had buying presents. I had a blast going around shopping for the seniors and getting them the best of the simple things like razors and pens. I decided I wasn't going to skimp out on these seniors, no they were going to get the best or most special looking presents.

Later I got to do a story with one of the partnering agencies, Meal on Wheels, as they handed out the presents to the seniors. Omigosh, I melted. One man was just so enthusiastic and was grinning ear to ear when the volunteer gave him his present. They're just so grateful to know that somebody cares, that somebody was willing to take the time to make sure they felt special on Christmas. I think the story turned out well and I can only hope it encourages other people to get involved in not only programs like this one but other programs that help the vulnerable and disadvantaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Originally from Canada. Transplanted to LA. Lived and worked in Kentucky, Toronto, now Kelowna and who knows where next! Let the adventures begin!