Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Center of Gravity

Every summer, there is an epic summer music festival called Center of Gravity in Kelowna. There are great bands that play, there are crazy water sport competitions in the lake...but it's pretty much a weekend for people to storm through Kelowna and party. Being media, we got a couple media passes for the station so we could go in and do stories and then when the day was over, some of us snagged them so we could go in and actually enjoy the festival.


There were thousands of people who filled up the park for the festival (and afterwards, there was garbage everywhere). I really just wanted to go in to listen to Sweet Thing. I don't claim to be their biggest fans, I just like a few of their songs, but come on, free concert and a chance to see a band live? I'm not going to turn that down.


Of course, being media, whenever I go somewhere, I'm more keen to try and find things wrong with something. Is there enough security? Are people too drunk? That sort of thing you know, but everything seemed ok with the festival when I was there. Mind you, I was there pretty early, I'm sure ruckus broke out after I left.


I didn't know half the songs Sweet Thing sang. I was pretty much just waiting for Lazy Susan and Change of Seasons and when those songs finally came on, I wasn't disappointed. The band sounded pretty decent live and they got the crowd somewhat going. There was a semi mosh pit in the front and then hundreds of people just laying on the grass behind them (some probably high, some probably having sunstroke) and then thousands more who filled up the beer garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Originally from Canada. Transplanted to LA. Lived and worked in Kentucky, Toronto, now Kelowna and who knows where next! Let the adventures begin!