Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Going nuts for nuts

I like to visit random things wherever I go. Goat farm in Kelowna? Check. Apple packinghouse? Check. Nut farm? I can now say check to that. Gellatly Nut Farm in West Kelowna is supposed to be THE place to go if you want to get nutty so I obviously had to check it out this summer.

I went with my sister and a friend and we were disappointed to find out the nut farm wasn't open the day we went. I guess the harvest time for nuts is really short (September and October, we went in August) so I was kinda bummed because I thought there wouldn't be anything to see or do, but I'm a curious person and wandering around actually turned out to be the best thing I could have done.

Even though it wasn't harvest time, there were tons of nuts around so we picked them up and curiously look at them...we weren't exactly sure how to get at them though, who knew nut picking was so difficult? But we found lots of different types of nuts on the ground and compared them and such. Then we walked around and saw all the different types of nut trees. Apparently the guy who started this farm was a big deal and he started creating nut hybrids and calling them awesome names like the one in the picture below:

It turned out to be a lovely day at the nut farm. We had such a good time exploring the trees and the pathway and looking for random nuts. We were saddened though that we couldn't actually buy any nuts to eat and I'm still craving them actually...time to make a second trip to the nut farm! I'll luck out this time around, it's September!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Originally from Canada. Transplanted to LA. Lived and worked in Kentucky, Toronto, now Kelowna and who knows where next! Let the adventures begin!