Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hiking in East Kelowna


I like to think I'm a somewhat outdoorsy type of person. I'm a city girl there's no doubt about that but I am appreciative of nature. I've gone on a couple of hikes since I moved here and since I had a friend in town, I wanted to try a different type of trail than the one I normally go on. I took my friend to the June Springs/Angel Springs area in East Kelowna and we literally just parked the car and then walked right into the forest.

It was somewhat hot that day, maybe around 27 Celsius or so? But as soon as we walked into the forest and into the shadow of the trees, it was like a cool respite. I was relieved about not having to hike in the sun but then another fear came over me: mosquitoes. Mosquitoes and I don't go together, I think I'm more allergic than the average person and I balloon up whenever I get a bite so I hate those nasty buggers. I thought I would be able to ignore them but seriously, there were everywhere and I didn't account for that when we started our hike.

The trail was decently difficult but we didn't get far because a) we had no idea where the trail was leading and b) we had no idea how long it would take to get to wherever the trail led to. Ultimately we called it quits after a good hour of hiking. An hour is a decent amount of time for a hike so I didn't feel bad about bolting from the forest and all those mosquitoes. But I am tempted to go back soon because I want to see what's at the end of the trail, I know, I'm just a curious type of person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Originally from Canada. Transplanted to LA. Lived and worked in Kentucky, Toronto, now Kelowna and who knows where next! Let the adventures begin!