Tuesday, September 6, 2011

An intense Okanagan immersion

I've had several visitors this summer (funnily enough, no one seemed to visit me when I lived in Kentucky...) so each time one of them came, I got to do my schpeel. Here is downtown Kelowna...here is the lake...here is a winery...Surprisingly enough, it didn't get repetitive and it was quite fun to take people touring around the Okanagan.

But I did realize there are a few major spots that one must hit when they are visiting the valley:


No visit is complete without a meal such as this and yes, this was one of my meals: a box of cherries, a fruit pie (I believe this was a blueberry and apple pie) and a scoop of luscious ice cream.


And where do you get such a meal? You go to an orchard like Gatzke in Lake Country, where they have shelves of fruit jams like strawberry, cherry, wildberry...it was jam-demonium!


And you have to go to a place that literally just has wooden bushels and crates of fruit like apples, peaches, nectarines. The Okanagan has some of the best fruit I have ever eaten hands down. Juicy peaches, check. Crisp apples, check. Sweet cherries, double check! In my eyes, the farmers here are like rock stars.


Any winery. I usually take people to Quail's Gate or Summerhill or Mission Hill because they are close and easy to get to. I believe this picture was taken before a lunch at Quail's Gate. My friend and I just wandered up and down the rows of grapes and looked out onto the lake, enjoying the nice, hot sun.


The lake. Yes, there are probably tens of bodies floating around in the lake due to stupid mistakes and stupid people over the years but gosh darn it, it sure is pretty! This picture was taken on a pier in Peachland close to one of my favourite bakeries, Bliss Bakery. There is a pathway that runs along the lake so we strolled down it after our satisfying carbohydrate packed brunch and found this pier just chilling in the middle of the lake. And it was just so nice to sit there and soak in the summertime love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Originally from Canada. Transplanted to LA. Lived and worked in Kentucky, Toronto, now Kelowna and who knows where next! Let the adventures begin!