Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Searching for salmon

So I'm behind on my posts...whatever, this is still a good story. The salmon run was back a few weeks so my friend and I had initially brainstormed trekking up north to see the big, big salmon run near Adams River. However, it was super rainy that particular day so we decided instead to check out the river that ran through a park in Kelowna.

We trekked around a little bit and then found the small river, which I think is under conservation watch. I thought we would see a sea of salmon all fighting to be upstream but I couldn't see anything at first. I peered longingly into the water and was really scouring all the nooks and crannies of the river but still could not see anything.

THEN, I saw a small flutter of colour! And it was a salmon!

They are a little hard to see because I don't have a hard core camera with crazy lenses but they should be somewhat visible in the pictures. I thought I would have loved to see the salmon fighting against the flow of the river to get upstream but instead, it made me really sad. It looked like they were fighting with all their strength and it didn't help that I would see the river push them back several feet during their fight upstream.

And it definitely didn't help that I would be rooting for a couple salmon and then I would see a salmon corpse float past me. I know it's the circle of life and blah blah blah, but it just seemed really sad to see them fighting with all their will and might and they might not even make it. All in all, really neat to see the "circle of life" but it just made me a little sad :(

Look closely! The salmon are there somewhere! I think...

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Originally from Canada. Transplanted to LA. Lived and worked in Kentucky, Toronto, now Kelowna and who knows where next! Let the adventures begin!