Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Simple times with Simple Plan

You know you have one of the best jobs in the world when going to a Simple Plan concert qualifies as work! Last week, the band kicked off their Canadian tour in Penticton (just south of Kelowna) and I got to attend. It wasn't so much to interview the band themselves (their plane got in late so they had to cancel our interview) but because a choir with some local kids were going to sing on stage with them.

I am not the biggest Simple Plan fan, I'll be the first to admit that. I like a few of their songs but I don't have their CDs or anything. Nevertheless, I was VERY excited to see them live. And I have to say, they definitely left a good impression in my mind.


The band had lots of energy and tried to get the crowd up and dancing. They also said the right things to the tons of teenage girls in the crowd such as, "I want a Penticton girlfriend!" and "Who wants to go to the beach with me? I have a tendency to get naked." Obviously these types of comments elicited shrills and screams from the teenie boppers and despite the slight cheesiness of their crowd interactions, I found myself smiling in spite of myself.



I remember when Simple Plan came out and everyone called them Sum 41 wannabes. So they have been around for a while. If anything, I would have been their target market when they first came out. So it was surprising to look around and see these 13/14/15 year olds screaming their lungs off for the band. It's not like this band is new but the crowd was sure acting like they were. I think I wrote a tweet about that with the hashtag #asyougetolder.

The choir eventually made their way to the stage and they really weren't up there for that long. Maybe 45 seconds to 1 minute, tops. They only sang five words and the sang the same five words twice and while I wasn't completely impressed because I thought they would have been on the stage for longer, the girls in the choir who I talked to after the song were in complete awe of their time in the spotlight. Oh well, whatever works.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Originally from Canada. Transplanted to LA. Lived and worked in Kentucky, Toronto, now Kelowna and who knows where next! Let the adventures begin!