Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Snow, snow and more snow!

My sister wanted to experience a B.C. ski hill during her trip so I took her for a two-day trip to Big White. Amazingly, the day we were there was when 13 cm of fresh powder fell on the mountain (!!) and I was beside myself.



I had never gone cross country skiing before so we decided to give that a try in the morning. Besides waiting 20 minutes for my sister to actually put her boots into the skis (gah), it was quite a pleasant trip to pave our way into the fresh snow. I hadn't known there were all these cross country trails at the base of Big White. It was a beautiful day with just the right amount of wind and sun and I worked up quite a sweat!

Maybe I'm used to boarding but I had quite a difficult time with the cross country skis. I couldn't get a good groove going until later that day and (to my surprise) my sister beat me the entire way through. That was embarrassing.

Later that day, we decided we wanted to tackle the 60 foot ice climbing tower. It was essentially a giant slab of ice. I think I went first and I was a little nervous because I had never really climbed before, let alone climbed on ice. I got these huge ice picks and I guess the main thing in ice climbing is trusting your ice pick. Apparently it could catch onto any bit of ice but it's whether you trust it to hold you and stay there that will determine if you can pick your way to the top. It sounds weird because I would rather know that my ice pick is deep into the ice than just trust that it is but whatever, it seemed to work.


It was pretty grueling because there was a lot of arm strength needed and I had to maneuver my way around icicles and up and around random juts of ice but after about 15 minutes, I made my way to the top! Best of all, there was a cow bell at the top that I got to ring!


Also, what could possibly be more beautiful than a super colourful sunset seen from the ski hills?


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Originally from Canada. Transplanted to LA. Lived and worked in Kentucky, Toronto, now Kelowna and who knows where next! Let the adventures begin!