Monday, July 25, 2011

Cherries galore

One of the best things about living in a place where most fruit is grown is that there are a plentiful amount of orchards. We have strawberry patches here, blueberry patches, blackberry patches, apple orchards, cherry trees...I could go on and on! All these places have you-pick, which is where you pick your own fruit and then pay for what you pick. The last time my friends went, I couldn't because I had to work. So I was super sad. But then I found out a friend's friend has a cherry tree in her backyard. So then I was super happy.

The tree in question

The cherries in question

One afternoon, I biked over and spent a fair amount of time just picking cherries off the tree! I learned you shouldn't pick the leaves because they help make the next year's crop of cherries, you should just pick the stem off the branch. Some cherries got burnt out by the sun. Other cherries had been taken out by insects. But after a fair bit of weeding, peering into the tree to find good quality cherries and stretching to pull down the good branches, I got a nice bagful of sweet, homegrown cherries! I binged on them this weekend but I don't care, I had to make up for a whole year's worth of not eating any cherries!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Originally from Canada. Transplanted to LA. Lived and worked in Kentucky, Toronto, now Kelowna and who knows where next! Let the adventures begin!